The perspective of someone who isn't doing the work

Reflections on Becoming a Teaching Assistant

Recently, I had the opportunity to work with undergraduate students as a teaching assistant. Although my primary role is as a research assistant, I gradually found myself taking on this responsibilities without knowing when it happened LOL. This experience has given me a fresh perspective on research and working with people. For the first time, I began to see research more clearly from the perspective of someone who does not do the work.

1. More experience brings more responsibility

Having more experience in the laboratory, together with the role of guiding students, naturally places me in a position of greater responsibility. This responsibility motivates me to continue learning, because I need to understand the work deeply before I can explain it clearly to others.

2. Reviewing others' work 

Reviewing students' work has taught me something interesting. When you are deeply involved in your own research, it is often difficult to evaluate it objectively. Looking at someone else's work allows me to think more critically, ask more questions and encourage a more rigorous approach.

Although I experienced this role on a much smaller scale, it gave me a glimpse into the perspective of professors. I have realized that maybe their role enables them to evaluate a piece of work more objectively and guide it in a better direction. They can often recognize patterns, identify mistakes, or spot opportunities that the person doing the work cannot easily see. 

3. Become more demanding

As I grow older and spend more time in academically rigorous environments, I have noticed some changes in myself. I have become more demanding of the people I work with and, at times, a little impatient. I often try to guide students toward what I believe is the right approach because I hope they can learn the lessons I have learned, perhaps with fewer unnecessary mistakes.

This also helps me understand professors better. Perhaps they are not simply "tough." Over the years, they have accumulated experience, and developed higher standards. The more they know, the more they expect because they understand what good research requires.

4. Fairness in treating different people

Treating everyone exactly the same is neither realistic nor necessarily fair.

I naturally find it easier to work with students who are hardworking, willing to face difficulties, open to feedback, and eager to improve. I enjoy helping them because I can see that they make good use of the guidance they receive.

On the other hand, it is more challenging to work with people who ask many questions but make little effort, avoid difficult tasks, or do not genuinely listen to advice. I still try to support them and give them the guidance they need, while maintaining a certain standard. At the same time, I reflect on whether I am communicating effectively. Ultimately, however, each individual is responsible for their own progress and growth.

And the lesson I have tried to deliver is:

You have to find a way to get what you want. If you don't find a way, perhaps it isn't what you truly want.

I have become tougher with experience, but I still try to remain tolerant and patient because I understand how important these qualities are for the growth of others. I want to give them the time and space to learn, make mistakes, and grow. I was fortunate to receive that same patience and understanding from the people I worked with when I was younger, and I am grateful for it.

Hanoi, August 08, 2026

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A girl likes winter. It reveals herself

A little update

A girl goes looking for love