Chocopie tell stories
I had never thought that Choco Pie was something I could make at home. By chance, I was scrolling through a YouTube channel specializing in cake-making when I saw a video showing how to make Choco Pie. I immediately thought, “Wow, that’s interesting!”
I don't think I would normally choose to make this cake because Choco Pie is such a common snack that I associate it more with buying than making. When I think about baking, I usually imagine making something bigger rather than a little cake like Choco Pie. But somehow, seeing the process made me curious to try it. Also, the advertisement for Choco Pie says, “Love as sweet as Choco Pie.” Everything seemed to lead me to making Choco Pie.
First, I made the wrappers using a sponge cake recipe, which was not difficult for me. After baking them, I tried one. It was okay and met the basic requirements for a sponge cake, but I didn't like it very much. It had that signature smell and taste of egg and flour, which I don't particularly enjoy.
Then, I tried to make the marshmallow with sugar, water, and gelatin. I failed the first time because the instructions were unclear, and the mixture became firm very quickly. I even took a picture of my failed marshmallow and sent it to my friend, asking him to guess what cake I was trying to make. LOL.
After learning from my previous experience and trying another recipe, I finally made the marshmallow successfully. Through this process, I discovered that I actually love gelatin, which is an important ingredient in making lots of cakes. I also love making marshmallow with sugar and electric mixer. I really enjoy watching the hot sugar gradually turn into a soft, fluffy mixture as I beat it.
I also realized that I love making many things because I know I can truly feel and enjoy the process. There is something satisfying about watching a few simple ingredients slowly transform into something completely different in front of me.
Although I enjoyed making the marshmallow, I didn't totally enjoy eating it. I also try to limit how much sweet food I eat because I don't want to gain weight.

Finally, I chose two similarly sized pieces of sponge cake and put the marshmallow between them. They were connected together and then covered the whole thing with chocolate.
Interestingly, the three parts combined perfectly together, much better than they were on their own. The sponge cake that I didn't particularly like, the marshmallow that I enjoyed making but didn't really enjoy eating, and the chocolate somehow worked perfectly as one little cake.
At that moment, I understood why Choco Pie became such a common snack.
Hanoi, August 13, 2026

Comments
Post a Comment